OASW Communiqué to Members Related to the One-Year Suspension of Membership in CASW March 2011
Dear OASW Members: Effective March 31, 2011, OASW’s membership in the Canadian Association of Social Workers (CASW) will be suspended for a period of one year. As previously reported, the OASW Board of Directors made a unanimous decision on September 30, 2010, to “suspend” rather than “terminate” membership, and this decision has been given careful and ongoing consideration since that time.
Ensuring Value for OASW’s Members Committed to their role as financial stewards of monies received through membership fees, the OASW Board’s decision to suspend membership reflects ongoing concern about “value” in return for membership fees.
“Value” at the national level would be demonstrated through:
* Building relationships with key policy-makers at the federal level to influence the direction of social policy that impact on the social work profession and client groups served;
* Making promotion and advocacy on behalf of the profession a core priority;
* Providing online vital practice-related information and resources; and
* Offering a dynamic national conference.
What Will Be Happening During the Period of Suspension During the period of suspension, OASW will continue to:
* Provide input to CASW to foster re-engagement;
* Support CASW efforts to restructure and move forward as it explores options related to change; and
* Follow with interest how aspirational goals and decisions translate into concrete, relevant and timely outcomes.
Provision of Professional Liability Insurance OASW will be offering a choice for members seeking professional liability insurance. The current AON program remains available; however, a new, comprehensive professional liability insurance program, which has equivalent coverage with added features yet not more expensive, will also be available to members. Information about this new plan will be announced in the coming weeks.
Survey of OASW Members OASW will be drawing upon results from our February /March 2011 comprehensive electronic survey of our membership. Input regarding issues related to the value of services and benefits offered though membership in OASW, provided through our OASW Branches, the provincial association and a national professional social work organization, will be analyzed in the coming weeks. This survey builds upon previous membership surveys conducted in 2007 (OASW membership services) and in 2008 (CASW survey).
If you have any questions or feedback about this issue, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Ontario Association of Social Workers L’Association des travailleuses et travailleurs sociaux de l’Ontario 410 rue Jarvis Street, Toronto, ON M4Y 2G6 (tel) 416-923-4848 http://www.oasw.org email@example.com ( 4 )